To maintain operational standards and ensure a working knowledge of distress, emergency and safety procedures, a maritime radio can only be operated by a holder of the appropriate operator’s licence or by someone under their direct personal supervision.
When fitting a VHF Radio Telephone, the owner of any vessel must to be sure that they satisfy requirements of:
The equipment being fitted must be type approved.
The equipment must be licensed.
The operator must be licensed or be under the tired supervision of operation’ license holder.
The person operating VHF radio system sailing in GMDSS Sea Area A1 must be qualified to a minimum standard GMDSS SRC (Short Range Certificate).
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)